Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Some Anecdotes of Life at Nyakasura - Part 1

From 1936 - 1941 I had been an Assistant Master at the Alliance High School, Kenya and most of my time there was under that great Head Master Carey Frances. He made the Alliance one of the leading secondary schools not only in Africa but also in the whole of what was then called the British Colonial Empire. I was fortunate. His combination of godliness and good learning with the need to do your best at everything, whether digging your garden, playing football, striving for a new one-mile record or studying for a place at Makerere was what I hoped would under gird my time at Nyakasura.

On arrival I was met by Douglas Tomblings, a splendid man who thoroughly approved of all Commander Calwell of the Church Missionary Society had set out to do. The school was now in the hands of the Uganda Protectorate Government. The C.M.S. had felt unable to carry on after the death of the Commander. Their resources were too stretched. The Uganda Government Education Department, or some members of it, however, found it difficult to accept their new responsibility. About two years after my arrival, I sent the usual monthly bill for payment to Kampala only to receive it back with "no payment as this is not a Government School" written over it!

As remembered and written by Mr E.C. Cooper, M.A., Headmaster - stay tuned for more Anecdotes of Life at Nyakasura from 1948 - 1954.

No comments:

Post a Comment