Friday, April 16, 2010

Some Anecdotes of Life at Nyakasura - part 9

Some one had once told the boys of the curious English custom of April Fool. This was religiously observed. I turned up to their class room to find all their desks had gone. We had a young building supervisor living on the site. He had an Alsatian dog which proved a nuisance by chasing boys and snapping at their ankles. I warned the young man to keep it under better control. At 5:45 AM on April 1st, I was awakened by a very agitated young man who said the boys had told him his dog had attacked one of them and he was so badly injured he had to be taken to hospital in Fort Portal. The young man was very sorry and asked me if I knew where his dog was. He promised nothing like this would happen again and he would be happy to compensate the injured boy. I rubbed in how serious this incident was and then asked him what date it was. He looked puzzled and then slowly said, "They wouldn't do that would they?" "You never know," I said, "but if you ask them kindly, I think you'll find they will let you have your dog back."


As remembered and written by Mr. E.C. Cooper, M.A., Headmaster, Between 1948 - 1954. Stay tuned for more Anecdotes of Life at Nyakasura!!

No comments:

Post a Comment